Monday, November 3, 2014

Walnut Cake with Blueberry Fun!

Four-layer Walnut Cake with Berry Jam Filling, Blueberry Buttercream, & Fresh Blueberry Garnish


Walnuts and Blueberries sound perfect for Fall, especially since the market still has many blueberries available.  When I contemplated what "Fall Flavor" to pair with the berries, a walnut cake sounded simply delicious!  Well...that's good enough for me!

I baked this walnut cake following this recipe, that includes 1c. chopped walnuts (medium chop, not too course/not too fine).



 
 
The cake rounds were quite tall, so I split each round in half to make four layers.  This allows for additional filling and does create a bit of a wow moment as the slices are served.
 



 
It was too much fun the stacking and filling this cake.  Between each layer is a very thin coating of blueberry buttercream with 2T of berry jam.  As hard as I looked, I couldn't find Blueberry Jam or Preserves, so I used a jam with blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.  The Buttercream was flavored with fresh blueberry puree.
 
I love the simple design of this cake...a smooth buttercream finish, a few vanilla swirls, and fresh blueberries. 
 
 



I regret tinting the interior buttercream blue.  I love the way it looks on the exterior, but it simply isn't appetizing on the inside of the cake.



Baking in the Fall can be delicious and fun.  This little cake is evidence that fall flavors have many amazing combinations.

That I get to bake is a miracle.  My partner is nothing but supportive and my sobriety likewise.  Here's a shout-out to my kids who love blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment