Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Basic Chocolate Cupcake


Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Chocolate Ganache Buttercream

I was asked to guest lecture in our youngest daughter's chemistry class.  The topic was the effect of alcohol and drugs on the brain.  This is one of my favorite subjects; especially true since my undergraduate degree was in a psychology department heavy with neuroscientists and brain research.

Armed with a PowerPoint presentation and some anecdotal information, the class flew by!  It was great fun and I really loved how the students were engaged.

And I took cupcakes.  These Chocolate Cupcakes are so delicious.  This cake is good enough to enjoy without frosting, but the whipped ganache is one of my favorites.  I start with Vanilla Buttercream and add chocolate ganache until the frosting arrives at the desired level of chocolateness. 



This frosting is light and airy - almost like a mousse.  It pipes are perfectly and holds it shape.  I'm glad I took enough to the lecture so everyone could have two if they wanted.


It's a great day when I get to bake, talk about addictions, and how lives can be immeasurably improved by avoiding drugs.






No comments:

Post a Comment