Saturday, August 24, 2013

Polka-Dot Cupcakes


Vanilla Cupcake with tinted Vanilla Cake Pop Center and tinted Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

On our walk this morning, I was talking about five or six different cake ideas I had for today and the upcoming week.  Deciding on which new idea to tackle was most of my end of the conversation. 

We stopped in to visit a friend and one look at her face and we knew, ...she needed a cupcake.  You know that look?  Maybe you've had that look?  Her favorite flavor is vanilla and favorite color is turquoise.

I love, love, love turquoise.  I can't hardly walk by this color and not stop to touch, pick-up, or gawk.  With that being said, these cupcakes were easy.  And fun!

Starting with a variation on the Polka-Dot Cake, I baked some vanilla cake pops.  [Usually I use my White Cake Recipe with almond extract for the cake pops, but substituted additional vanilla for the almond]  The entire cake batter was split about 60/40 with 40% receiving the Wilton Teal coloring gel.  After baking 24 cake pops, I had enough batter for five turquoise cupcakes. 




I baked the cupcakes with the cake pop in the same way as the layer cake:  little bit of white cake batter, cake pop, cover cake pop with additional white cake batter.  I baked the cake pops for 12 minutes and the cupcakes for 21 minutes at 350F.


Having never made polka-dot cupcakes, I wasn't sure what the results would be. 


I figured out how to slice a cupcake in half without damaging the frosting!  And, this Polka-Dot Cupcake looks so interesting.
I think they turned out just fine!  Now imagine baking a rainbow of cake pops and either mixing up the frosting so there are two different colors - or matching the frosting - anything is possible!



The red buttercream was leftover from the Red Dragon Cake.


Now that I have this cupcake as an option, I can't wait to try all kinds of different combinations!


This vanilla cupcake of deliciousness is sitting on an upturned Fiesta Ware tea cup.


I'm still working on how to stage cupcakes for the photo shoot. 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment