Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Red Velvet Cake and Cupcakes

Red Velvet Rose Cake and Rose Cupcakes

I absolutely love Red Velvet Cake.  I can remember my first piece of a double-layer Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting.  It was 1987, Alabama, and my stepmother-in-law pulled a slice from the freezer.  I made a silent vow that it wouldn't be the last slice of heaven I'd ever enjoy.

Years down the road, I saw a Red Velvet box mix at the grocery.  I bought, baked, frosted, and served that little mess.  Sigh.  It didn't taste the same as the cake in my mind.

It wasn't until recently that I've dedicated myself to finding my favorite Red Velvet recipe and the perfect Cream Cheese frosting.  Both seem to be elusive prey.


Of the three Red Velvet recipes I've tackled, this one is by far our favorite.  And I like this ratio for the Cream Cheese Frosting - it pipes on well, holds it shape, and still tastes like cream cheese.  Hot tip: I can't believe I'm saying this, but don't add too much vanilla - it will elbow out the sharpness of the cream cheese.  I know...sad day.



There is something magical about a red cake with white frosting.  I stacked the cakes with the filling.  Unfortunately, the weight of the cake and filling forced out much of the bottom layer of cream cheese.  I could tell this was happening while I was crumb coating the entire cake - ugh.  It was oozing out the sides.  This was confirmed when I sliced it - the bottom layer of white filling does not have the depth as the top layer.  Now to work the ratio of ingredients that will support the weight of cake and filling.

I will continue to explore different Red Velvet recipes...and if I find something we like better, I will share that! 

Today, I do not have to have all the correct answers.  Today it is good enough that I'm trying.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment